After taking a photo of her cancer scar in 2011 and sharing the image online, then 22 year old Scar Stories founder, Jasmine Gailer, felt better for it! We have since taken more than 45 scar portraits, with 13 professional photographers and exhibited around Australia. We will power forward in showing the 'pretty' and 'gritty' side of cancer through a range of creative endeavors to achieve our mission.
Through creative initiatives we aim to raise awareness about young adult cancer; raise funds for specialty care for the 18-35 year group; and help these young people come to terms with what most people keep hidden following cancer treatment - the physical scars that remind them of a grim, painful experience - and see them in a new light, one that is empowering and beautiful.
What We've Achieved So Far…and this is just the beginning folks!
- Taken over 40 stunning scar portraits
- Printed a Scar Stories book featuring our collection of portraits
- Won the Moran Contemporary Photography Prize for Suzanne McCorkell's portrait of Chris & Bridie in 2014
- Signed up Aussie music legends Hunters & Collectors, Dead Letter Circus and Reece Mastin to champion our cause
- Had our RockScars project featured on Channel 7's 'Sunrise' program.
- Surpassed a Pozible.com crowdfunding target of $15,000 to cover costs of 2014 creative projects.
- Raised over $9,000 through ticket sales and donations at a Hunters & Collectors benefit concert in January 2014
- Raised over $7,000 for CanTeen through photographic exhibitions in Brisbane, Melbourne, Castlemaine, and Sunshine Coast
- Attracted involvement from over 100 volunteers and sponsors